In a statement, New York lawmakers including Senator Clinton and Reps. Jerrold Nadler, Carolyn Maloney, Vito Fossella, and Edolphus Towns, said the study highlighted the need to fund health care services for responders. “The time for this president to take action is now,” Ms. Maloney, who represents parts of Manhattan and Queens, said. NEW YORK — New York lawmakers, citing a new study that finds many ground zero rescue workers have anxiety levels similar to those of war veterans, are calling on the federal government to support health care for them. The study, by researchers at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, found that among more than 10,000 workers, 11% met the criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder, an anxiety disorder, and 8.8% had probable depression. Researchers said the rate of post-traumatic stress disorder is similar to the rate experienced by veterans who served in Afghanistan. “We now have the science to back up what we have long known – much more needs to be done to help those brave first responders who are still suffering the physical and psychological consequences of 9/11,” Mr. Nadler, who represents parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn, said. Other studies by Mount Sinai researchers linked recovery work and lung disease among rescue workers. In 2006, researchers found that nearly 70% of rescue workers exposed to toxic dust at ground zero became ill as a result.
Famed acctress Cicely L. Tyson has been inducted into the Wall of Fame of the Washington, D.C.-based Institute of Caribbean Studies (ICS), as Caribbean Americans celebrate National Caribbean American Heritage Month.Tyson, a former fashion model and daughter of immigrants from Nevis, is renowned for playing strong African-American women on screen and stage throughout her career.Presidential Medal of Freedom awardeeShe is also the recipient of three Primetime Emmy Awards, four Black Reel Awards, one Screen Actor Guild Award and one Tony Award. Tyson was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor in the United States in November 2016.ICS said Tyson is the daughter of Frederica Tyson, a domestic worker, and William Augustine Tyson, who worked as a carpenter, painter, “and at any other jobs he could find.”Her father arrived in New York City at age-21 and was processed at Ellis Island on August 4, 1919, ICS said.Awards for her role in ‘Sounder’“Having appeared in minor film and television roles early in her career, Tyson garnered widespread attention and critical acclaim for her performance as Rebecca Morgan in Sounder (1972); she was nominated for the Academy and Golden Globe Award for Best Actress, and won the NSFC Best Actress and NBR Best Actress Awards for the role.”“Her portrayal of a young slave at the end of the American Civil War in the 1974 television film, ‘The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman won her further praise,’” she added. “The role won her two Emmy Awards and a nomination for a BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role among other accolades.”Tyson also appeared in the 2011 drama film “The Help” – that was set in the backdrop of the Civil Rights Movement.The film had her play the role of Constantine, a maid in Jackson, Mississippi and won her the Broadcast Film Critics Association and the Screen Actors Guild Award for best ensemble cast.In addition to her screen career, ICS said Tyson has also appeared in various theater productions; she starred as Carrie Watts in the Broadway play, The Trip to Bountiful, winning the Tony Award, Outer Critics Award, and Drama Desk Award for Best Actress in a Play. Tyson had previously received a Drama Desk Award in 1962 for her Off-Broadway performance in Moon on a Rainbow Shawl. Tyson has also been honored by the Congress of Racial Equality, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and the National Council of Negro Women. In 1977 she was inducted into the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame and named a Kennedy Center honoree in 2015.
Granit Xhaka needs to apologise for his angry reaction to being booed by home fans during Sunday’s 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace Arsenal manager Unai Emery says.The Gunners captain cupped his ear in response to booing from the stands at the Emirates stadium as he was being substituted. He then appeared to swear at the fans before taking of his jersey and storming down the tunnel.Emery said: “Yes [he should apologise]. We make mistakes, we need to apologise and we suggested for him to do that.“Really, he knows he was wrong and he feels inside very deep.”It is not the first time Xhaka has been booed by his own fans this season, with Emery publicly defending the Switzerland midfielder after a game against Aston Villa last month.That uneasy relationship with the Gunners fans did not stop Emery appointing Xhaka as club captain in September after the summer departure of Laurent Koscielny.However, Emery has refused to confirm whether Xhaka will remain captain after Sunday’s incident.“At the moment I am not speaking and I don’t want to think about that,” the Spaniard added.“It is not easy for him and for the team. We spoke yesterday, and Sunday night also, and this morning.“He trained normally with the group but he is devastated and sad about the situation.”RelatedArsenal: Aubameyang Named Club Captain After Xhaka Stripped Of RoleNovember 5, 2019In “England”Granit Xhaka: Arsenal Captain Says He ‘Reached Boiling Point’ After AbuseNovember 1, 2019In “England”Emery Unsure Of Xhaka’s Future At ArsenalNovember 9, 2019In “England”
The Backyard Golf SocietyFor the first time in a few weeks we managed to come up with 8 players but the Chairman was noticeable by his absence yet again! Rain greeted us at the first tee at Emerald Golf Course and followed us all the way around apart from the last 2 holes. Terry C and Danni L outside Happy Bar 2.Obviously the weather suited Terry C as (after his golf lessons taught by John Ryves at St Andrews Golf Center) he finally put a round together and came in as the winner with 37 points.Geoff came in second with 33 and for the first time in a long while JJ took the nearest the pin prize. Skin results were as follows: Terry C (9), Geoff (4), Dan M (3) with (2) rollovers for next week.Finally, we welcomed Danni L back this week and proceeded to down a few cold ones to celebrate his return.
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) _ Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Artie Burns has been charged with driving with a suspended license.A Miami Beach Police report says an officer pulled over Burns’ Cadillac SUV in South Beach on Thursday for having an expired tag.The report says the 22-year-old Burns failed to produce a driver’s license, and was handcuffed and taken to a county jail.Miami-Dade County court records show Burns hadn’t paid hundreds of dollars in traffic tickets and failed to appear for a hearing.The police report says Burns’ SUV was impounded and the vehicle’s tag was seized.Jail records show Burns was released on bond Friday. It couldn’t be determined if he had an attorney; the case wasn’t yet listed in court records.Burns was a first-round draft pick by the Steelers in 2016.
David Williams II, the first African-American athletic director in the Southeastern Conference, announced Tuesday that he has decided to leave his role overseeing Vanderbilt athletics and as vice chancellor. He will stay on as athletic director and vice chancellor until his replacement is hired, then become a full-time law professor. He also is establishing a new Sports, Law & Society program at Vanderbilt Law School.Williams will leave as the SEC’s second-longest tenured athletic director, behind Kentucky’s Mitch Barnhart. Williams said he told Chancellor Nicholas Zeppos last October that he wanted to end his tenure as athletic director on June 30 before being persuaded to stay past that date after turning 70 in January.“I just want them to be able to get somebody that can come in here and keep the ball rolling,” Williams told The Associated Press.In this Jan. 18, 2014 file photo, Vanderbilt athletic director David Williams speaks at a news conference in Nashville, Tenn. Williams announced Sept. 11, 2018, that he will retire once his replacement has been hired. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)Zeppos, chairman of the SEC committee that hired Greg Sankey to replace Mike Slive as commissioner, will oversee the search for Williams’ replacement.“The only challenge will be making sure that the person understands that they’re walking into a great university and they’re kind of following on the footsteps of someone who is really a giant in our history and in college athletics,” Zeppos said.Vanderbilt was criticized heavily for being seen as giving up athletics in 2003 when then-Chancellor Gordon Gee dissolved the department and put athletics under student life. Williams was Vanderbilt’s African-American vice chancellor of student affairs along with being a tenured law professor, general counsel and university secretary. His job overseeing student affairs put him in charge of athletics, which he had worked in while at Ohio State.Williams, who shed a couple of his jobs in taking the athletic director title in July 2012, will leave his job as AD with Vanderbilt having won four national championships combined in baseball (2014), women’s tennis (2015) and women’s bowling (2007, 2018), along with the best football success in nearly a century.He told his family after taking over athletics that Vanderbilt would go to a bowl game. The last bowl berth for the Commodores, whose colors are black and gold, had been in 1982. Vanderbilt now has been to five bowl games under Williams’ tenure, starting in 2008 and most recently in 2016. It marked a huge turnaround for a program that ended the SEC’s longest bowl drought and a 25-year stretch without a winning record.“I remember the disbelief that people had,” Williams said. “But I knew we could do that. And quite honestly, I also knew that the hardest thing of all of this was going to be football because of the size of it and that this is the Southeastern Conference. So I always thought that we could do these things.”Williams hired both James Franklin , now at Penn State, and current coach Derek Mason in football; Vanderbilt has four wins in the past six years over in-state rival Tennessee. He hired Bryce Drew and Stephanie White in 2016 to coach men’s and women’s basketball. He has retained Tim Corbin as baseball coach; Vanderbilt’s streak of 13 straight NCAA Tournament berths is best in the SEC.He also helped oversee upgrades to McGugin Center, home to the football program, along with building an indoor football practice facility that also has a track, upgrades to the baseball field, and offices and renovations at Memorial Gym among others.Williams said his favorite moment as athletic director will be reconciling Vanderbilt with the late Perry Wallace, the first Black basketball player in the SEC. Wallace routinely suffered indignities while playing for the Commodores, both at home and on the road. Vanderbilt retired Wallace’s jersey in 2004, and Williams and his family made the first donation to a new scholarship in Wallace’s name earlier this year.“There’s a lot of proud moments that I will remember and remember, but I think that’s the proudest,” Williams said.There is no set deadline to hire Williams’ replacement. Zeppos said he will consult with coaches, athletes and students. How to improve Vanderbilt Stadium, with the last major renovation at the SEC’s smallest football stadium coming in 1981, will be part of the discussions in hiring a new athletic director.“We’ll get it right,” Zeppos said. “We’ll get it right the Vanderbilt way.”___More AP college football: https://apnews.com/tag/Collegefootball and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25 NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The man nicknamed the Goldfather for his work guiding Vanderbilt athletics to success not considered possible at the Southeastern Conference’s only private university is stepping down. In this Jan. 11, 2014, file photo, Vanderbilt athletic director David Williams answers questions in Nashville, Tenn. Williams announced Sept. 11, 2018, that he will retire once his replacement has been hired. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)
Argentina’s female players, who will play in a November runoff game for the 2019 World Cup, have struggled financially when their payments were delayed. They also expressed discomfort when Adidas, the brand that sponsors a few members of the national teams of both genders, unveiled the new shirt for the Female America Cup this year with models rather than players.“The biggest lack is that they don’t have younger players. They start playing at age 16, 17 and by then they’ve missed out on a bunch of issues that have to do with understanding the game,” said Ricardo Pinela, president of the Football Association’s Women’s Football Commission.“The important thing is that every club in every corner of the country gives a girl the possibility of joining a female soccer team, to play with other girls, even if it’s just for fun, and from there generate the necessary structure that … sets them on equal standing as the male players”, he argued.After Candelaria’s case became widely publicized, her regional league committed to reviewing the rule in an assembly at the end of the year — leaving her case in limbo until then. “Cande,” as she is known by friends and family, is the only girl playing in a children’s soccer league in the southern party of Santa Fe province, birthplace of stars including Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta and Jorge Valdano. Former Argentine coaches Marcelo Bielsa, Gerardo Martino and Jorge Sampaoli were also born there.But a regional regulation that prohibits mixed-gender teams in children’s categories threatens to take her off the field — a ruling that has helped dramatize the inequality in opportunities for men and women in this soccer-crazed county.“I had to sit down with her and tell her that there are some people who have to make rules in soccer and that these rules do not agree with what she wants,” said Rosana Noriega, Candelaria’s mother. “And, well, we both cried, and she said: ‘The people who make the laws are bad people.’”She was 3 years old when her parents gave her her first ball. They understood that it didn’t make sense to insist she play with dolls, even if there were “comments from other moms that they should not give her male toys because it would encourage her to be a lesbian,” Noriega recalled. In this Sept. 8, 2018 photo, Candelaria Cabrera poses for a photo with her Huracan soccer club teammates in Chabaz, Argentina. (AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko) She wears a loose white jersey from Huracan de Chabas, her hometown, located 230 miles (370 kilometers) north of the capital, Buenos Aires. Printed on the back and on her red shorts is a number 4. She uses white boots and shin guards. Her long, copper colored hair tied in a ponytail distinguishes her from the rest of the players. In this Sept. 8, 2018 photo, Candelaria Cabrera plays with a soccer ball in Chabaz, Argentina. “Cande,” as she is known by friends and family, is the only girl playing in a children’s soccer league in the southern part of Argentina’s Santa Fe province, birthplace of stars including Lionel Messi, Gabriel Batistuta and Jorge Valdano. (AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko) In this Sept. 8, 2018 photo Candelaria Cabrera, center, plays with her soccer teammates against the Alumni Club, in Chabas, Argentina. (AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko) In this Sept. 8, 2018 photo, 7-year-old Candelaria Cabrera poses for a portrait holding a soccer ball in Chabas, Argentina.(AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko) CHABAS, Argentina (AP) — At age 7, Candelaria Cabrera goes after the soccer ball with determination. She drives toward her rivals without caring much about getting hurt and deftly manages the bumps on the dirt field. Two months ago, the regional soccer authorities notified Huracan that the team could no longer include Candelaria. She could only play on a girls’ team — which does not exist where Candelaria lives.Noriega took to social media to speak out about her daughter’s case and was surprised to find that she was not the only one. Girls wrote to her saying they were facing the same problem in nearby towns and more distant provinces.Of the 230 regional leagues recognized by the Argentine Football Association, only 68 have women’s teams. This is just one of the many disparities with men’s soccer. The most notable is financial: The best-paid contract in men’s first division is around $3 million a year. In contrast, women who play in their top category receive a travel voucher of $44. In this Sept. 8, 2018 photo, Candelaria Cabrera, third from right, sits with her teammates before a match against the Alumni soccer team, in Chabas, Argentina. (AP Photo/Natacha Pisarenko) While she’s officially now banned, the team has let her keep playing — at least until an opponent objects.Candelaria’s most recent match ended with her team beating rival Alumni de Casilda 7-0.“No one should say that a girl can’t play soccer,” she said.
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (7) runs for a first down under pressure from Cleveland Browns cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun (20) during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/David Richard) The 36-year-old says he banged his elbow on Pittsburgh’s next-to-last offensive snap during last week’s ugly tie in Cleveland. Roethlisberger fumbled on the following play after getting hit by Browns linebacker Genard Avery.Roethlisberger declined to say whether he had an MRI exam on the elbow. He is unlikely to practice on Wednesday, though that is not unusual for the 15-year veteran. Roethlisberger had a difficult day overall against the Browns, throwing three interceptions and fumbling twice.Second-year quarterback Josh Dobbs, who beat out veteran Landry Jones to serve as Roethlisberger’s primary backup, will run with the first team if Roethlisberger cannot practice.Roethlisberger has missed just six games because of injury since the start of the 2013 season.___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL PITTSBURGH (AP) — Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hopes his balky right elbow will be good to go Sunday against Kansas City.
@albert_roge Upd. at 17:25 Ruas is one of those — he normally plays his football for the youth side Sant Just Desvern. CEST The 12-year-old is taking part in the tournament with Mexican team RAFE, who have called on some players from Catalonia to help them complete their squad. Every day at MIC new players are discovered, whether through talent or the fact they have a connection to a professional footballer already. 29/03/2018 El ahijado de Ronaldinho participa en el MIC 18 On Wednesday, Ethan Mbappe was on display, the younger brother of Kylian who plays for Paris Saint-Germain’s U12 team. IN SPORT.ES On Thursday, it was the turn of Kilian Ruas Pérez, the son of Barcelona’s legend Ronaldinho Gaúcho’s cousin. Albert Rogé As for the young Kilian, he has already scored two goals in the tournament. So far, Ronaldinho has not dropped in to see him, although his presence at the tournament has not been ruled out.